Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "David" <dgrogan@e...>
"David" <dgrogan@e...>
Date:  Thu Dec 6, 2001  5:02 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Threshold Breath Pressure

Lloyd said:

<< Higher pitches require greater longitudinal tension across
the vocal folds, that is, the vocal folds act as a more efficient,
firmer valve holding back the breath. This raises the threshold
pressure necessary for the onset of phonation for higher pitches. >>

Lloyd,

Seems like I remember reading that as the cricothyroid lengthens the vocal
folds, they are not as efficient, and need greater medial compression to get
a clean sound. I guess I am going to have to go back to my Vennard and
Miller books (again!). Sigh...the more I learn, the less I know!

David Grogan
ETBU Music
Marshall, Texas

emusic.com