Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  ODivaTina@a...
ODivaTina@a...
Date:  Wed Dec 5, 2001  7:06 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Threshold Breath Pressure

In a message dated 12/5/2001 12:06:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
lloyd.hanson@n... writes:
lloyd.hanson@n... writes:

> For this reason I usually avoid using such terms as mentioned in the
> "mike's imagery" thread not because they are wrong but because I
> prefer to attempt to find language that is more universal and,
> perhaps, understandable. I even avoid terms that seem to describe
> the process such as "singing on the breath" because they often give a
> picture that is inaccurate or silly. But it is possible to encourage
> students to create a process that is similar to their everyday use of
> the body such as providing a warm, moist breath and build an
> understanding of the singing breath from such an experienced
> functions.
>
> For what it is worth.

It really is true, Lloyd. I have found from my own personal experience that
the ONLY way to get a skill under my belt is when I finally, and simply,
experience it myself. And then I can look back at the LOOOOONG list of
people who have tried to explain it and understand how and why they said what
they said in trying to explain it to me. But that is only clear in
retrospect. That's why, as a teacher, using simple, experiental things to
simulate and/or emulate the desired physical effect is the best method (in my
opinion). Another great way to feel sub-glottal pressure is to gently blow up
a balloon without letting your cheeks puff out.
TinaO

emusic.com