Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@m...>
Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@m...>
Date:  Wed Dec 5, 2001  3:09 pm
Subject:  re: Signs of a good voice teacher

Tia wrote:

>I don't disagree about taking time
>to really develop the voice, but I'd like to have some
>idea about what I could be doing outside of the
>private lesson to aid my learning. I have mentioned my
>concerns to the teacher, but I sense a lack of
>enthusiasm about working vigorously to get me to the
>place, I'd like to be.

Yes, it sounds like you might need some new perspectives in your private
studies. As far as looking for a good teacher is concerned, one useful
strategy is to ask people whose singing you admire whom they are studying
with and then go see for yourself. Most teachers will offer a consult at
their regular fee, in which you sing some stuff for them and then they tell
you where they would like to take you technically and how they like to
work. These types of meetings are invaluable for the teacher-shopper!
Give yourself as much time as you need to find someone with whom you click,
both personally and vocally.

As for what to be doing outside your voice studies, you mentioned that
you've never studied theory or piano. Those two subjects would be an
excellent place to start your self-directed study. Basic musicianship
skills are an absolute MUST for a professional singer; don't kid yourself
that a beautiful voice is enough anymore. Other things an opera singer
needs are acting skill, language fluency, stage sense, audition skill,
personal grooming, charm, organizational skills, etc. (What am I missing
folks?)

NGL

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
15755 Re: Signs of a good voice teacher Jennifer   Wed  12/5/2001   2 KB

emusic.com