Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...>
Date:  Tue Dec 4, 2001  1:35 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Effects of bars/nightclubs

Hello Tom,

Well, I don't think you should be worrying too much,
but I do think as you've written on the list, you can
take some heed of the already excellent advice given.

Like anything, and as I always say to students. You
have to be your own judge in these matters. I'm a non
smoker, but was brought up in a house of smokers, and
I find that a smokey environmnet does me no harm at
all: probably because I've become so used to it, my
voice has built up it's own immune system, I don't
know!! However, my point is that some people are more
prone to the effects of smoke, alcohol, loud talking
over house music etc. I find, if I go to a club, I
will be as rough as Hell for the next morning, then
the voice recovers. I'm as touch as old shoe leather
though!!

I would say, if that were not the case, I would stay
out of that enviromnment, or, at least, visit it
considerably less. This is obviously just common
sense.

The pain you say you feel isn't in the vocal folds
themselves but in the muscles and membranes
surrounding. The folds have no feeling: that's why if
you have a severe ailment such as nodes, it's not them
feeling bad that alerts you, it's the inability to
produce the right action. Smoke and alcohol will dry
up mucous membrane, and your body responds by chucking
out loads of phlegm.

It would seem to me that your problem is perhaps not
in visiting the clubs, but maybe in the way you're
producing your voice period. For instance, how long
has this been happening? Does it only occur when
you've visited the club perhaps? I only ask, because 5
to 6 days is a long recovery period for a few hours
abuse. That said, you may just have a more delicate
instrument. As John said, are you sure your speaking
voice is unaffected, only your singing?

Interestingly, you will generally find the 'ring' in
the sound maybe unaffected by the stress put upon it.
There are plenty of singers out there with ringing
sounds who smoke like chimneys!! My advice though (for
what it's worth) is just to be sensible, and take it
easy. If you value your voice, don't knacker it for
the sake of a couple of beers. Remember this, the
voice is very strong, but once broken can never be the
same again. It's very repairable, yes, but that's not
the same thing! Basically, it's down to you and my
favourite old adage: common sense. If it 'aint broke,
don't fix it, if it's a bit squeaky round the edges, a
little bit of TLC maybe the right thing to do!!

All the best, and let us know how you go.

Ian Voice wrecker to the stars!!

Nokia 5510 looks weird sounds great.
Go to http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/nokia/ discover and win it!
The competition ends 16 th of December 2001.

emusic.com