Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "Sharon Szymanski" <szy@n...>
"Sharon Szymanski" <szy@n...>
Date:  Mon Dec 3, 2001  11:52 pm
Subject:  FW: Hello and request for beginning repertoire

Hello to any old friends!
I am glad to see that the list is still active; I have been unable to
participate since the formation of the temporary group due to time
pressures, but would welcome contact with any old friends! Please note the
new email address.
After 7 years of adjunct teaching at the University of North Carolina
at Chapel Hill, I have gone totally private and have a thriving studio with
40 personal students of all ages, as well as an assistant teacher with 20
beginning students of her own. She is a wonderful new teacher and is doing
a great job with her students, but confessed recently that choosing
appropriate repertoire for beginners, especially those who might not read
music terribly well, or those who have limited musical experience, was
difficult. I agreed!
I am trying to get together a list for her of appropriate repertoire
and would appreciate any input Vocalist members might have in this regard.
We currently use the ever-present 24 & 26 Italian aria anthologies, most of
the "class voice" anthologies, the Boytim "First Book" series (often too
advanced for her students), the Boytim "First book" musical theater series
(very accessible in my opinion) and she has recently purchased the Boytim
"Easy Songs for Beginning Voices" series too, which may be good, though I
find that modern students can only handle so much of the "old chestnuts"
which are liberally represented here!
Would appreciate any rep lists which listers might have received (or
given out) in college rep classes, as well as individual choices which you
as singers or teachers have found helpful.
Please send to my studio address:
szymanskistudio@n...
szymanskistudio@n...

THanks so much for any help!
Sincerely,
Sharon Szymanski

The Szymanski Studio - "encouraging excellence in the vocal arts..."

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
15739 Re: FW: Hello and request for beginning repertoi Craig Tompkins   Wed  12/5/2001   4 KB
15741 Re: FW: Hello and request for beginning repertoi arado_ge   Wed  12/5/2001   2 KB

emusic.com