Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "Kathryn Thickstun Leff" <ktleff@h...>
"Kathryn Thickstun Leff" <ktleff@h...>
Date:  Thu Nov 29, 2001  6:03 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] What to do about a freaky lower range

Catherine wrote:
I'm a soprano in my late twenties, and have been studying for
about seven years. Over my training, the lower end of my range has
descended and descended, so that now I can sing over an octave below
middle C - ....... 1. Do any of the other sopranos out there have access
to this lower
register? ....... 2. Am I really a soprano
[Kathryn Thickstun Leff]

1. Yes. Many refer to this lower part of one's range as chest register.
Count yourself lucky to be studying with a teacher who realizes it's
important for sops to develop their lower as well as their upper registers.
2. Probably. If you're really unsure, you might look for an opinion
other than your teacher's. A coach or another teacher, perhaps.
Good luck!

Kate Leff
San diego

emusic.com