Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  arado_ge@y...
arado_ge@y...
Date:  Wed Nov 28, 2001  9:53 am
Subject:  Re: One of those days :(

Now, that's what I refer to as a "complete waste of make-up day". I
remember having a similar experience at school when I was about 14
years old and studying 'cello. Instead of a half hour session, I was
put into a group class with three other students who .... how can I
put this politely .... were not musically adept.

I was really angry for a while and almost dropped playing
altogether. Instead, it forced me to really pay attention when
practicing. When I was working on a piece I would do my utmost to
make sure that it was note-perfect, that the bowing and fingering
were perfect and that way the short amount of time I had was at least
dedicated to really improving technique and the finer points of
playing, rather than "your E flat's out of tune". Of course, I also
practised more to show off that I was better than the other students
in the class but that's just my competitive personality coming out!!!

So, while I really do sympathise with you and I think you should just
turning point to approach your lessons and practising from another
perspective and also to listen more to your own voice. Become your
own teacher as well, listen to your voice, record yourself practising
and then work on that recording.

I'm not just trying to turn this into a happy situation because if I
was in the same position I would be including a huge number of swear
words in my vocabulary as well but until the situation can be
rectified, use it to your advantage!!

Kirsty

emusic.com