Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "Nande" <denanny@h...>
Date:  Sun Nov 25, 2001  3:50 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] true cords vs false cords?

Thank you Randy...

I figured it is probably smoke-induced. It's really horrible to listen
to. And now that you describe it, I recall having heard 'ventricular
phonation' (didn't know that's what it's called) a couple of times in
my former profession. (I was/am a nurse) My friend has a little more
'sound' to her voice, although it's not much.

Now I'm wondering, is the damage to her voice permanent? (Assuming
it's caused by smoking rather than lazy cords) And is there any way to
kind of 'test' her to see if things could improve a little?

I really wished she'd stop smoking, but I'm afraid she won't/can't or
whatever. She has a 12-year old in the house who's already beginning
to sound breathy. I'd think that's reason enough to quit, but...
well....
(Ok, enough.)

Thanks,
Nande

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., buzzcen@a... wrote:
> Some individuals will result to ventricular phonation if the true
vocal folds
> do not meet well. It has a rather peculiar sound to it which is
hard to
> describe if you have not heard, but it is usually rather low, raspy,
and lots
> of breath wastage.
>
> I'm not sure she is resorting to this from what you describe.
Frankly, it
> sounds more like polypoid degeneration of the true vocal folds due
to smoking
> and excessive voice use. We've all heard this before, the female
smoker with
> the strange low, masculine, coarse voice.
>

> Randy Buescher

emusic.com