Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "Naomi Gurt Lind" <omigurt@m...>
"Naomi Gurt Lind" <omigurt@m...>
Date:  Sat Nov 24, 2001  5:25 pm
Subject:  re: looking for yet another piece of music...

Please reply there.

Laura, you might have a look at "The Soldier tir'd of War's Alarms" by
Thomas Arne. It's an allegro with lots of coloratura passages and an
optional high D. It was one of Joan Sutherland's signature tunes. It has
the advantage of being tonal and familiar-sounding, even though it is not
very often performed.

Another possibility which is more risky musically but which could be very
exciting dramatically (and is still tonal) is Madame Mao's aria from Nixon
in China, by John Adams. I think it also goes up to a D.

Still more risky might be the Hand Mirror aria from Dominick Argento's
Postcard from Morocco. Highest note is D#, if I remember correctly. This
is a complex and strange piece (tonal but on the very edge) but exceedingly
comfortable to sing. Done well, it can be quite effective.

And of course there are always the Britten arias, particularly Tytania's.

Best of luck!

Naomi Gurt Lind