Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "Yvonne Dechance" <ydechance@h...>
"Yvonne Dechance" <ydechance@h...>
Date:  Fri Nov 23, 2001  4:40 pm
Subject:  Re: perfect pitch courses

I believe the original question about perfect pitch asked about materials
and courseware for developing absolute pitch. The Perfect Pitch Supercourse
(6 Cassettes & Book) by David L. Burge may be of interest:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0942542975/vocalistint00-20

As an undergraduate I was taught using some of these materials, and while I
considered it fairly tedious at the time, it came in handy in a
high-pressure performance where I had a small disaster and forgot the pitch
I'd been blown backstage to begin a big solo...for the choir's sake it was
*very* important that I start in the correct key, and only my pitch training
saved me that day.

To answer some related questions, yes, learning pitch by this and similar
methods does imply according to modern tuning. A lot of it is concentration
on what pitches really sound like, including their vibration, overtone and
decay patterns. No-one in my class got so good at it that we were bothered
by someone singing a capella slightly off standard tuning, but I do know
people that are bothered by such things. For most singers, learning
excellent relative pitch (given one note, be able to sing any given interval
from it) is more important than absolute pitch, but especially if you want
to learn complex music (including 20th-21st century "new music" and many
ancient works) developing a better sense of absolute pitch may be worth the
time to study.

-y

_Dr. Yvonne Dechance
NATS Webmaster, http://www.nats.org/

Email: ydechance@s..., Homepage: http://www.scaredofthat.com/yworld/
The Diction Domain: Free voice diction resources for singers
http://over.to/dictiondomain

15536 Re: perfect pitch courses roses41usa@n...   Tue  11/27/2001   4 KB

emusic.com