Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  arado_ge@y...
arado_ge@y...
Date:  Thu Nov 22, 2001  11:43 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] perfect pitch

Ian,

Let me introduce myself, since I never did when joining the list
(didn't know the etiquette). I'm Kirsty, I live in Geneva, studied
music in Wales but later went into law (out of financial necessity,
rather than desire!!) and am a jack of all instruments but master of
none!! I love singing, though, and really want to develop my voice
and do something useful with it!!!

I love reading what you have to say because you explain things well
and in a humouristic way.

My new questions go as follows:

Do all (or most) piano tuners have perfect pitch? Fortunately mine
hasn't tuned my piano to just pure notes or it would sound awful! :-)

The tuner obviously "hears" the centre of the note and is then able
to tune the other strings around that to create the necessary
buzz/vibration. So, if a singer's (with perfect pitch) ear is so
sensitive to hear the centre of the note perfectly, why can they not
also have the ability to adjust that to create the "buzz" and alter
their sound?

Also, if perfect pitch is a learning thing, does that mean that if a
child grew up with an out or tune instrument, i.e. a piano tuned at a
different hz, would their memory retain that and then percieve A=440
as being out of tune?

Kirsty

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
15472 Re: perfect pitch to Marc and Kirsty Ian Belsey   Thu  11/22/2001   3 KB
15474 Re: perfect pitch to Marc and Kirsty Marc de Montjoux   Thu  11/22/2001   4 KB
15477 Re: perfect pitch to Marc and Kirsty Ian Belsey   Fri  11/23/2001   2 KB
15478 Re: perfect pitch to Marc and Kirsty Marc de Montjoux   Fri  11/23/2001   3 KB
15483 Re: perfect pitch to Marc and Kirsty Ian Belsey   Fri  11/23/2001   2 KB
15515 Re: perfect pitch to Ian Marc de Montjoux   Mon  11/26/2001   3 KB
15549 Imperfect Perfect Pitch brian   Tue  11/27/2001   4 KB

emusic.com