Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  John Link <johnlink@n...>
John Link <johnlink@n...>
Date:  Wed Nov 21, 2001  4:49 pm
Subject:  [vocalist] Re: perfect pitch

>I don't know about "develop perfect pitch" systems but I know that
>many years ago I developed what was called "relative pitch". In
>other words, you could play any note on a piano and I couldn't tell
>you what it was,I could just guess. BUT I was playing so much flute
>that you could play any note on it and I knew straight away what it
>was just from the sort of texture of the sound.

What you describe is known as perfect pitch or absolute pitch: the
ability to identify a note independent of harmonic context. Relative
pitch is the ability to identify the relationship between one note
and another.

>I started working on developing this and find now that when I am
>working on a song a lot, I can just find the first note straight away
>without having to play it on a piano first when practicing. I think
>this is more to do with musical memory, though. It has also
>considerably improved my sight reading.
>
>The only advantages I know of are for sight-reading, being in-tune
>and general aural training and awareness.

What if the ensemble is not tuned to the standard at which you have
memorized the pitches? In such a case I would expect perfect pitch to
be a hinderance. I certainly don't want any of my singers singing the
correct pitch according to A=440 if the rest of the ensemble happens
to be elsewhere. I want them to listen and to the ensemble and to
relate their pitches to the rest of the group through their skill of
relative pitch.

>I never knew perfect pitch was something that could be developed but
>imagine how great it would be for transcribing something you've just
>heard and liked or getting through those exams where you have to
>listen to a piece and name all the modulations and what keys it goes
>through etc!!!!

When I work on a piece intensely I often find that I can remember the
starting pitch quite accurately, but I think that good short-term
memory and relative pitch are the skills needed for transcribing. I
don't see how perfect pitch is relevant.

John Link

http://www.mp3.com/JohnLinkFeldenkrais

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
15469 Re: perfect pitch arado_ge@y...   Thu  11/22/2001   3 KB