Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Tue Nov 20, 2001  4:05 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] looking for song

There are some other songs with similar sentiments to "Nella fantasia".
Jacques Brel's "If we only have love" (the translation done in JACQUES
BREL IS ALIVE AND WELL AND LIVING IN PARIS) is a favourite of mine.
There's also John Lennon's "Imagine" - though I've had some hypersensitive
folks accuse that song of being *anti* religion (I sang it in a Unitarian
church once, and they loved it - so there!), "Let there be peace on
earth", "I'd like to teach the world to sing" (*without* the Coca-Cola
references), etc.. I've also always loved the German song "Die Gedanken
sind frei" - "Thoughts are free", a different sentiment, but also very
appealing.

Not purely secular, but also inspiring are "Morning has broken"
(popularized by Cat Stevens, though written by someone else - at least
according to my Baptist Hymnal) and "All good gifts" by Stephen Schwartz
(from GODSPELL).

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html

---
Hillaire Belloc's flawed but insightful essay on Islam:
http://www.ewtn.com/library/HOMELIBR/HERESY4.TXT

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a
- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsyl., 1759

emusic.com