Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "Jeffrey Snider" <snide76258@y...>
Date:  Sun Nov 18, 2001  9:13 pm
Subject:  Re: NATS Membership

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., "Kathryn Thickstun Leff"
<ktleff@h...> wrote:
> Dear vocalisters (especially voice teachers and coaches):
>
> Are you a member of the National Association of Teachers of Singing?
> If so, why?
> If not, why not?

I think you will find the vast majority of college-level teachers in
the US) are NATS members. Fewer private teachers are members, but
there are still a significant number of these as well. (Many are
members of MTNA instead, but some belong to both.)

NATS provides something of a "seal of approval" in that membership is
controlled by an application process. Not that it's all that hard to
get in, mind you. The Journal of Singing alone is worth the
membership fee. The organization is divided into chapters, districts,
states, and regions. Where you are will determine in large part at
what level most activities take place.

There are certainly problems with the organization, especially
involving student auditions. But overall it is well worth joining
regardless of the type of teaching you are doing.

-Jeff Snider

emusic.com