Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Vicki Bryant <MezzoNotte@e...>
Vicki Bryant <MezzoNotte@e...>
Date:  Sat Nov 17, 2001  1:24 am
Subject:  Getting permission (was re: Hoiby Statue of Liberty Song)

Friday, November 16, 2001, 6:54:00 PM, Laura wrote:

DDL> Karen writes:

>>The song is in the ASCAP catalogue, which
>>means you can perform it if you pay the ASCAP fee.

DDL> Wow, I've never even heard of this sort of thing. I know about needing to
DDL> pay for rights to record and make a profit from modern music, but not this
DDL> whole "permission to perform" thing. Yikes, I'd better go make sure I
DDL> haven't violated this in the past with other music I've performed as well.

Laura,

It took me a while before I figured this out. For a while I was
avoiding modern music! Then I decided to visit the ASCAP website to
figure out how to get permission, and discovered that the sponsor of
the event is responsible for the permission, not the artist. If
you're organizing your own performances, then yes, you're responsible.
But if you do like I do, and get organizations to sponsor you (libraries,
schools, women's groups, etc.) then you have nothing to worry about.

Vicki Bryant mailto:MezzoNotte@e...
Naperville, IL

emusic.com