Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Sat Nov 17, 2001  12:19 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] re: Hoiby Statue of Liberty Song

>One thing about Hoiby that bothers me -- his "Bon Appetit" score says that
>you must obtain permission before performing it. I wanted to sing it on a
>"food"-themed program, but I certainly didn't want to pay to do so.

This isn't exactly accurate. The song is in the ASCAP catalogue, which
means you can perform it if you pay the ASCAP fee. You don't need to write
for permission. You just need to ask ASCAP for a license, which is granted
not per song but per performance - one performance could include a dozen
ASCAP songs, and it wouldn't cost you any more than performing just one
ASCAP song - great if you're going to do a whole concert of modern music.
Depending on the size of the venue and the price of the ticket, your ASCAP
licence fee could be as little as $15 (e.g., a 300-seat church, no ticket
price). The only thing ASCAP asks you to do - and they aren't at all
persistent about it - is to fill in a roster once a month listing
performances you've given that included ASCAP-licensed material, so you can
pay your fees. You're supposed to fill in forms even in months when you
don't perform any ASCAP music, but I'll be honest - I've only filled them
in (and paid the appropriate royalties) when I have actually had ASCAP
music performances, and ignored the rest. No-one seems to get on my case
about this.

Karen Mercedes

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
15385 Re: Hoiby Statue of Liberty Song Deal Diva Laura   Sat  11/17/2001   2 KB
15386 Getting permission (was re: Hoiby Statue of Liber Vicki Bryant   Sat  11/17/2001   3 KB

emusic.com