Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Fri Nov 16, 2001  3:24 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Economics Related Songs

Tim Schmidt wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I'm a undergraduate student that is getting a B.Mus. in voice and a
> B.A. in economics. For my senior recital I was interested in perhaps
> having a set of songs that somehow were related to economics -- if
> they existed. The only song that I know of so far would be "Money,
> O" by Michael Head.

Tim, it could be argued that the entire opera "The Ballad of
Baby Doe" (by Douglas Moore with libretto by John LaTouche)
is about economics - specifically the gold standard vs. the
silver standard around the turn of the last century. There
is a wonderful ensemble in the second act in which the
characters argue about US economic policy during that
period. And William Jennings Bryan sings a campaign
speech! Get yourself a copy of the score - I'm sure you
could find something to excerpt for your recital. There are
two good recordings out on CD - I'm very partial to the NY
City Opera recording with Beverly Sills.

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...

emusic.com