Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "SMSchneider" <smschneider@e...>
"SMSchneider" <smschneider@e...>
Date:  Wed Nov 14, 2001  3:06 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Appriopriate Gig Material and Pay Scale????

A thought about this payscale - It seems to me that for the amount of time
they want you to sing and with all the preparation needed (choosing rep,
rehearsal with the pianist and paying that pianist for the rehearsal), $100
is awfully cheap. Where is this gig? Is it in the New York area? If so, I'd
charge at least $200 per performer.

You wrote:
The want me to sing for 1- 1 1/2 hours and
provide dinner background music and then continue
singing when they are finished.

Maybe $200/per is out of the ball park for this particular group, but for
that much music, think about it in terms of doing a whole recital. I can't
think of a single pianist in NYC who would do rehearsal and performance for
less than twice that. As a singer, is the job so worth it to you that you'd
take it for essentially a loss? Just for comparison, I get about $150 or
more to do a couple of numbers at a wedding or a funeral.

Susan Schneider