Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Mezzoid@a...
Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Tue Nov 13, 2001  8:53 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] got the gig, now what do I sing?

In a message dated 11/13/2001 2:09:53 PM Central Standard Time,
cantare@p... writes:
cantare@p... writes:

<< The only thing I'm finding for "inspirational" songs is Christian
religious music, which I don't think would be appropriate for this
setting. Would any of you have a recommendations for an
inspirational, not particularly religious song for mezzo with string
quartet? My audience is older and quite conservative.

Well, there's a new song out there that Denyce Graves sang called "American
Anthem," written by Gene Scheer (sp?). It's on Nathan Gunn's new CD of
American songs (which I just ordered from Amazon) and the music is available
from CLASSICAL VOCAL REPERTOIRE (haven't ordered it yet). I just heard it at
Wisconsin NATS last week, sung not especially well by a young man, but
despite his less-than-fabulous vocalism, it was manipulative/effective enough
to move me to tears. :) All the teachers were asking about it.

Christine Thomas
Wauwatosa, WI
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html">
http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html</A>

"Pace, mio Dio, pace, mio Dio."
-- La forza del destino, Giuseppe Verdi

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
15340 Re: got the gig, now what do I sing? Karen Mercedes   Wed  11/14/2001   3 KB

emusic.com