Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  ODivaTina@a...
ODivaTina@a...
Date:  Mon Nov 12, 2001  5:17 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] obsecure arias?

In a message dated 11/12/2001 10:00:34 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Mezzoid@a... writes:
Mezzoid@a... writes:

> Joyce Castle created the role of Nazimova, and she is a lyric mezzo - some
> of her current roles include Augusta and Orlofsky, the Old Woman in
> Candide, etc.

Yes! I worked with her at New York City Opera just this past April. She was
Augusta Tabor in Baby Doe (I was Meg and Silver Dollar).
Fascinating. . .I was wondering what her fach was. She is a very interesting
woman and performer.
Thank you for such a great overview. It sounds lovely, although for me right
now, not what I would consider for audition rep. I am looking for things that
are so appropriate, the auditioners couldn't imagine anyone better for the
role. (So far I am keeping Carmen, Dorabella, & Orlofsky . . .currently
searching more.) An aging screen star isn't quite where I am yet. (Although
it is one of the things I love about being a mezzo. . . there is a LOT to
grow into.)
TinaO

emusic.com