Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Mon Nov 12, 2001  5:28 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] a tenor/sop duet request...

On Sun, 11 Nov 2001, Molly McLinden wrote:

> OK, here is the deal!
>
> My tenor friend, a young spinto tenor, is coming back to my school to give
> an alumni recital. he wants to sing a duet with me, a young soprano who
> might SOMEDAY be a dramatic ;)
>
> He says "o soave fanciulla" is out- he does not have a reliable 'C' yet.
> What's left....for young singers to do?
> Is there anything really good or funny from the operetta rep?

There's a glorious duet in Massenet's LE CID - "O jour de premiere
tendresse" - which I can attest from experience is not
too difficult for young singers, nor does it sit too high for your
friend's voice - and Chimene is a great role for a "budding" dramatic (or
falcon) to look at. This is, in fact, one of my favourite duets from all
of opera. If you'd like a copy of the music (LE CID isn't exactly the
easiest score to find - I had to get my copy second hand from a shop in
Paris), please let me know. I promise you won't be disappointed.

There's also the lovely Hoffmann/Giulietta duet from Offenbach's LES
CONTES D'HOFFMANN (there's also a mini-aria plunked right down in the
midst of it, for Hoffmann - "O jour de quelle ivresse"). This may be
somewhat too ambitious, but I'd suggest you listen to it - and also ask
your voice teachers about it. It could be just the thing.

Other possibilities:

"Parigi, o cara" from LA TRAVIATA

"Siehst du den Mond ueber Soho?" (Liebeslied) and "In einer Zeit" (Ballad
of Immoral Earnings) from DER DREIGROSCHENOPER

"Sieh jene Kraniche in grossem Bogen!" from AUFSTIEG UND FALL DER STADT
MAHAGONNY

"Strange Music" from SONG OF NORWAY

"Lippen schweigen" (Merry Widow waltz) from DIE LUSTIGE WITWE

"Suzel, buon di" (The Cherry Duet) from L'AMICO FRITZ

The Jean/Salome duet from Massenet's HERODIADE (again, you might have a
hard time finding the score).

"I'll see you again" from Noel Coward's BITTER SWEET

"C'est le ciel qui m'envoie" from LA BELLE HELENE

"Si Torero quiero se" from Penella's EL GATO MONTES

"Deep in my heart" from THE STUDENT PRINCE

"Amor, mi raza sabe conquistar" from Soutullo's LA LEYENDA DEL BESO

"Wiener Blut!" from J. Strauss's WIENER BLUT

Not sure if you'd be willing to undertake something as lyric (for you) as
the Micaela/Jose duet (Parle moi de ma mere) from CARMEN...

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html

---
Hillaire Belloc's flawed but insightful essay on Islam:
http://www.ewtn.com/library/HOMELIBR/HERESY4.TXT

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a
- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsyl., 1759

emusic.com