Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lisa M. Stachowicz" <earthbounddiva@w...>
Date:  Thu May 11, 2000  2:16 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Those who can't, teach.

I've found in my limited teaching experience (less than a year) that
teaching also helps MY musicianship, technique, communication skills,
patience, etc. as much as it helps my students. So, by teaching, I've
become a better singer just because I've learned so much from my students
and because when I give them an example, it has to the best example I can
give, so I'm always trying to improve all the things I listed to help the
students achieve the best THEY can.

This first year of teaching has been one of the most rewarding experiences
of my life. Even when I have a full-fledged singing career, I will keep my
hand in teaching because of what it does for me both as a singer and as a
person AND because I truly enjoy helping people.

The reason I feel this has helped me so much goes back to my current
teacher. Without her guidance and patience and understanding, I wouldn't
have the confidence to know that what I teach to my students will truly help
them. I know I'm teaching them good technique, good diction, good character
development, good research skills, etc. to help them achieve their goals.

So, I don't think their is truly such a thing as "those who can't, teach"
because even if you can recognize something that could be improved in a
singer, you have to know how to do it well to tell them how to do it well.
And, you have to have experienced the ups and downs to be there when your
students do. Every teacher of music IS a performer - some are just
performing for smaller, but equally as important venues.

Have a wonderful day!

Lisa M. Stachowicz
Dramatic Soprano and Voice Teacher
Appleton, WI
http://home.att.net/~earthbounddiva

You are the music while the music lasts.
                                      ~ T. S. Eliot ~

emusic.com