Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "Deal Diva Laura" <laura@d...>
"Deal Diva Laura" <laura@d...>
Date:  Fri Nov 9, 2001  6:48 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] obsecure arias?

Hi Fiona,
My teacher and I were just discussing this subject the other day. I think
the concensus is that as long as you have arias that are well known IN
ADDITION to the obscure or lesser-known works that it should be fine. And
the good thing is that it shows diversity and creativity.

Personally, I like to use lesser known pieces (if they're really strong
pieces for my voice) in auditions because then I'm not being compared to the
latest recording of so-and-so performing the piece, or I'm not being tuned
out because this is the 8-millionth time just today that they've heard the
same aria froma soprano. But that may just be me.

When I asked about Handel arias for the Met auditions (my teacher
specializes in Handel and the like), her response was ..."as long as they're
not those tired, old standby's, "V'adoro pupille" and "Piangero"..."

So I say, go for it! Wow em! Make 'em listen to you because they haven't
heard it before!

Laura Ruiz

DealDivas.com - Harmonizing Culture & Price
http://www.DealDivas.com

emusic.com