Vocalist.org archive

From:  beth christensen <beth5108@y...>
Date:  Thu May 11, 2000  12:50 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Those who can't, teach.

--- Jacqueline/Connie <jaxsobcon@n...> wrote: >
Dear Beth and others:
> I think that catch phrase has denigrated our
> profession
> for many teachers because of the implication that
> teaching
> is a lesser job than doing. But isn't teaching just
> that?
> Doing? We're doing something that numerous others
> cannot. A great singer isn't automatically a great
> teacher!
> If in our hearts we don't want to teach; we only
> want to
> perform; then teaching will feel like a cop out
> because
> it is one. If we teach because we love to watch the
> face of a student as they overcome an obstacle or
> we feel the pride of accomplishment through the
> accomplishments of our students under our guidance,
> then we teach because we should teach.

Dear Jacqueline,

I teach because I love exploring all things vocal and
the sheer joy of watching someone realising their
potential.
So, I DO love to teach (and it is draining), but I
also love to sing. I'd sing on a street corner for
the love and sheer joy (yes, I used it again!!) of it.
Sorry for the moroseness of my former posting.
It came after an hour long lesson with a really
difficult student who believes nothing I say.
Ah well, you get that.

Thanks,
Beth C
Australia

=====
I'm a member of AllAdvantage.com, an Internet company that literally pays you
to surf the Web. If you haven't already signed up for AllAdvantage.com, take a
look at their Web site at http://au.nz.alladvantage.com

When you sign up, please use my member ID klr-763 when asked if you were
referred by someone, or you can just use this link:
http://au.nz.alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=klr-763

It's for real...we just banked our first cheque!

http://movies.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Australia & NZ Movies
- Find out what's on at the local cinema with Yahoo! Movies

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
1526 Re: Those who can't, teach. Lisa M. Stachowicz   Thu  5/11/2000   3 KB

emusic.com