Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Thu Nov 8, 2001  2:32 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] looking for approp music for student

On Mon, 5 Nov 2001, Kimberly O'Connell wrote:

> Hi Karen, I have lots of stuff from musicals. I am
> looking for classical and art songs. Thanks Kim-

Some ideas from opera for your young baritone:

OPERA

"Di Provenza" from Verdi's LA TRAVIATA

"Non siate ritrosi...Rivolgete a lui lo sguardo" from Mozart's COSI
FAN TUTTE

"O Vaterland...Da geh'ich zu Maxim" from Lehar's DIE LUSTIGE WITWE

"Il cavallo scalpita" from Mascagni's CAVALLERIA RUSTICANA

"Avant de quitter ces lieux" from Gounod's FAUST

"O vin dissipe la tristesse" from Thomas' HAMLET

"Quelle priere de reconnaissance" from Massenet's WERTHER

"Der Vogelfaenger bin ich ja" from Mozart's DIE ZAUBERFLOETE

"Che mi dira" (Porter's Song) from von Flotow's MARTA

Also consider:
Folk-song arrangements are another possibility. I suggest particularly the
arrangements by Quilter, in his ARNOLD BOOK OF OLD SONGS, and by Britten,
in his several volumes of folk-song arrangements. I've found that
Beethoven's arrangements are also good, but tend to sit a bit high
tessitura-wise - if he's a higher lyric baritone, those would be good too.
Also those by Haydn.

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html

---
Hillaire Belloc's flawed but insightful essay on Islam:
http://www.ewtn.com/library/HOMELIBR/HERESY4.TXT

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a
- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsyl., 1759

emusic.com