Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Thu Nov 8, 2001  5:04 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Kansas City Lyric Opera

Lea Ann wrote:

> Doesn't sound very approachable does it? It seems strange to me that all the
principle roles are auditioned for in New York. Seems like he people here in
the Midwest part of the US should support talent here in the Midwest. Hmmm
anyway I am glad to know that other cities support local people. I think
that's very important.

I don't want to give the impression that the Washington
opera casts principal roles from its local chorus
auditions. However, since Placido Domingo has been director
of the company, TWO has had a practice of using a cadre of
locally-based singers in comprimario roles. And some of
these singers get cast in prominent or even principal roles
in the smaller (non-star-studded) productions. And I've
seen regular chorus members be cast in the smallest
comprimario roles, as well.

Now, there is a lot of competition for the Washington Opera
chorus, especially for sopranos. And due to union contract
requirements for a percentage of existing chorus members to
be retained every year, only so many openings are available
each year. But I think most serious opera-type singers in
this area know personally one or more people who sing in the
Washington Opera chorus, as I do.

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...