Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Tue Nov 6, 2001  10:40 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] church rep...

I'm doing both parts of "He shall feed his flock/Come unto him" from
MESSIAH for the Thanksgiving-themed solo in the church where I sing. The
minister seemed to think that was ideal for expressing the right
sentiment.

I had planned to do "All good gifts" from GODSPELL, but just couldn't get
my act together to transpose it down - I'm a contralto, and the original
key was intended for the tenor who sang it in the show. Except perhaps for
the ending, which gets a bit "pop", I think the entire song works quite
well sung purely legit, and you won't find a more appropriate Thanksgiving
text, IMO.

Some other possibilities:

John Ireland: A Thanksgiving (the same text was set by Britten as the
"Spring Song" in A CEREMONY OF CAROLS)

Sir George Elvey: "Come, ye thankful people, come"

J.S. Bach: "Gott, mein Herz dir Dank zusendet" (BWV 521)

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html

---
Hillaire Belloc's flawed but insightful essay on Islam:
http://www.ewtn.com/library/HOMELIBR/HERESY4.TXT

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a
- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsyl., 1759

emusic.com