Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karl Rasmussen <krasmuss@v...>
Date:  Thu May 11, 2000  5:27 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] career + children

Of course if you want a career that pulls you away from your family, I know
of several openings in computer science. You aren't limited to a music
career. Engineering, Law, Medicine, any of the business degrees that you
would take for management positions; I see folks in all these that
sacrifice their family involvement to their career (male and female).

Going into music performance to be an Internationally famous opera star is
like getting a business degree and wanting to be a CEO or Sr. VP for a
Fortune 1000 (or maybe 500 ?) company, isn't it? What kind of family life
did those folks have getting where they are? Note that I'm not saying
anything is bad about that level of ambition. Also note that many of those
CEOs do have families.

As to the girl that wants to major in music performance: Unless a lot has
changed since I was in school, CS and Engineering are exceptional in that
graduates tend to work in the field they studied. The majority of college
grads got jobs and even built successful careers in areas different than
what they studied. Some elective courses or a summer at a trade school may
be quite adequate for a fall-back job. When considering computer related
jobs don't forget about applied areas like, preparing multi-media
presentations, audio processing, electronic keyboard repair/service,
publishing, (auto mechanic :)), ... lots of positions that don't require a
full computer science degree and pay enough to tide you over.

Thanks,

Karl Rasmussen
mailto:krasmuss@v...

emusic.com