Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  " Mirko Ruckels" <mirkoruckels@i...>
" Mirko Ruckels" <mirkoruckels@i...>
Date:  Tue Nov 6, 2001  9:35 am
Subject:  Re: debut

Thanks to everyone for their kind words. You're all very supportive.
Ok, well, I've decided that I'm going to audition for the opera chorus.
I'd like some opinions as to what sort of material I should audition with.

I'm 29 years old, I'm a tenor, with spinto tendencies, but with no
performing experience (apart from the wedding!!). I've need two pieces, and
I think I've worked out the first piece should be 'Dies Bildniss' by
Mozart, but I can't seem to find the second aria. I like singing 'Amor ti
vieta' but I feel that it's too much of a 'statement' - in other words, it
may seem like I don't know my voice well enough and am doing material that
is too heavy at this stage. I want to keep it... 'young tenor' if you know
what I mean. I don't want to sing any verdi or puccini at an audition, as
I feel that would be way too premature (not to mention slightly beyond my
capabilities).

I thought of 'una furtiva lagrima' but it's a little too tricky for me to
pull off confidently. Any other arias?. I need something that isn't too
hard, but is still impressive for an opera chorus level.
Here are some other arias with their problems listed next to them

Lensky's aria - russian (I'd rather stick to the italian, german or french,
as they are my strengths)
Il mio tesoro, dalla sua, wie angstlich... - I don't want to do too much
mozart.
La fleur (flower song)- too ambitious
Salut (bizet)- too scary with the high C!

Do you see my prob? Everything seems to heavy or too 'advanced' and as I'm
not really an experienced singer (even though I can do a lot of these songs)
I don't want to waltz in there and make an idiot out of myself. Any
suggestions.

Mirko

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
15143 Re: debut Karen Mercedes   Tue  11/6/2001   5 KB

emusic.com