Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Mon Nov 5, 2001  12:12 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] What did you think of Sweeney Todd?

Having seen Patti Lupone's Norma Desmond in SUNSET BOULEVARD on the West
End, I couldn't help wondering what the heck Norma Desmond was doing in
the middle of SWEENEY TODD. I thought she was absolutely WRONG as Mrs
Lovett. It was as if Nancy from OLIVER! had cross-bred with Gloria Swanson
to create this bizarre creature who had nothing to do with Sondheim or
Sweeney.

George Hearn, on the other hand, I thought was wonderful. Indeed, having
seen Terfel's attempts at being menacing as the villains in HOFFMANN, I
was rather glad he *didn't* do this production. Hearn struck just the
right balance between menace, spite, and pathos. And sang the role well to
boot.

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html

---
Hillaire Belloc's flawed but insightful essay on Islam:
http://www.ewtn.com/library/HOMELIBR/HERESY4.TXT

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a
- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsyl., 1759

emusic.com