Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Craig Tompkins <craigtompkins@t...>
Date:  Sun Nov 4, 2001  5:19 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Russian choral diction, anyone?

Joel Figen wrote:

>I have been asked to assist an American church choir in Russian
>pronunciation. <snip> I
>really don't have any idea what should happen to certain
>non-Italianate vowel sounds when you try to sing them, <snip> Anyway, there
>must be information available on this, in English, in not too
>much depth, possibly on the internet even. Any suggestions?

Joel,
I don't know about on the net, but the book by Piatak and Avrashov
'Russian Songs and Arias' has an excellent introduction to sung Russian,
the sounds of the Cyrillic alphabet and IPA transcriptions of many arias
and songs (alas no choral music). It's published by pst. Hope this helps!

Cheers
Craig, Burnaby BC

emusic.com