Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lisa M Olson" <lisa_molson@m...>
Date:  Thu May 11, 2000  12:06 am
Subject:  Jealousy

A couple of days ago, someone posted a link to hear a young 16-year old
singing Victor Herbert's "Art is Calling for Me". I thought about listening to
it, but I found that I just couldn't - It was too painful.

When I was 16, I sang that piece, as well as "Mein Herr Marquis" from
Fledermaus. I was told that I was a prodigy. I was told I was fabulous. I
was told I could do anything - that I was the best. I got accolades from
everyone. I went to Eastman School of Music at the age of 17, the only singer
to be accepted from a regional audition that year. I was on top of the world.

HOWEVER, I discovered that the competition, and my own lack of self-worth
really destroyed my ability to sing well. When I was getting my Master's
Degree, someone even suggested maybe I had "peaked" at 17 (so that at that
time, the age of 22, I was already over the hill). Now, at the age of 30, I am
finally realizing what I have to offer. I'm singing well, and thinking I'm
actually a late bloomer because my voice is adding so much more drama and depth
than I ever thought.

It is though extremely painful for me to be reminded of the successful time in
my life. I feel as though I wasted too much time, that I failed, that I let
down the people who believed in me. And I get SO JEALOUS of young singers, I
can just taste the bile in my mouth about it. I hate this. I don't want to
feel this way and I am never quite sure what to do with these feelings.

Does anyone else have these feelings? Or am I just a miserable, selfish person?

Lisa-Marie

1510 Re: Jealousy Karen Mercedes   Thu  5/11/2000   3 KB
1511 Re: Jealousy Anne Cronvich   Thu  5/11/2000   3 KB
1512 Re: Jealousy DIANE M. CLARK (MUSIC DEPARTM   Thu  5/11/2000   3 KB
1513 Re: Jealousy Diane Moore   Thu  5/11/2000   3 KB
1514 Re: Jealousy Margaret Harrison   Thu  5/11/2000   5 KB
1518 Re: Jealousy Anna Carina Sundstedt   Thu  5/11/2000   3 KB
1519 Re: Jealousy PJ. Garner   Thu  5/11/2000   5 KB
1522 Re: Jealousy Bob Kravitz   Thu  5/11/2000   3 KB
1529 Re: Jealousy Mezzoid@a...   Thu  5/11/2000   2 KB

emusic.com