Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lisa M Olson" <lisa_molson@m...>
Date:  Wed May 10, 2000  11:29 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Children's Career-was career+children

Leslie-

Wow, it sounds a lot like deja vu from umpteen years ago when I was 17. I
elected not only to major in music but to go to a conservatory and get a
Bachelor of Music Degree. My parents were NOT happy, for the same fears you
have. I, however, have been gainfully employed (not, unfortunately, as a
singer) since I finished my Masters Degree. Depending on what TYPE of "day
job" she would want to have, many of them do not require degrees or even
special training. I'm temping at the moment in a law office and making more
than $15.00 per hour. I am eating, I am paying my bills, I am NOT rich, but I
am still working on my singing and trying to start a singing career. I don't
know if this helps or confuses you more. BUT, your daughter HAS to realize
that it is a VERY HARD businses to get into. If she doesn't have the drive and
the dedication, she will discover this in college. If she does, nothing will
stop her.

Lisa-Marie