Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Craig Tompkins <craigtompkins@t...>
Craig Tompkins <craigtompkins@t...>
Date:  Thu Nov 1, 2001  5:28 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] weird trick that works

singer49@a... <mailto: singer49@a... <mailto:
>Hi,
>
>I find this interesting and would like to learn more about the tuvan throat
singing. Anyone have more technique ideas, exercises or information?

Hi Carol,

The best reference for overtone singing is by Rollin Rachele called the
Overtone Singing Study Guide, published by Cryptic Voices. It comes
with a CD of M. Rachele and friends demonstrating some of the most
amazing sounds you could imagine ;-)

Here are some links that you might find interesting:
http://www.sciam.com/1999/0999issue/0999levin.html is the Scientific
American article on Tuvan throat singing,
http://peyote.com/jonstef/khoomi.htm is the page on throat singing from
the Divine Soma Experiment site.

We (the Vancouver Chamber Choir) performed a piece a year ago (Past Life
Melodies by Sarah Hopkin) that finished with a section for six overtone
soloists. It's a remarkable piece of music, not difficult at all and
extremely effective. I first experienced overtone singing at a
performance of Stockhausen's Stimmung in 1971 and was fascinated. My
next encounter was with Tuvan throat singing at the World Choral
Symposium in 1993. I played around for a while on my own, trying to
figure it all out. At the NATS convention in Toronto in 1998, there was
a session on it that renewed my interest, and from there I discovered
the Rachel book.

Let me know if I can be of any more help.

Cheers
Craig, Burnaby BC

emusic.com