Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "Kathryn Thickstun Leff" <ktleff@h...>
"Kathryn Thickstun Leff" <ktleff@h...>
Date:  Mon Oct 29, 2001  7:41 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Re: Singing Folk Music

Tracy wrote:
In my opinion, slavic folk songs should be sung sort of nasal and bright. I
lived in Bulgaria for about a year and a half,........

It is true that much Bulgarian folk music is traditionally performed with a
rather nasal, straight tone. Some other eastern European ethnicities also
perform some of their folk music this way. However, much slavic folk music
is NOT performed this way, so do a little research into the performing
traditions of your music. If the traditional vocal production of your folk
pieces differs greatly from western classical tradition, I would suggest
explaining that in your program or in your comments from the stage.

Have a great time.

Kate Leff
St. George Serbian Orthodox Church
San Diego, CA