Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "Tracy" <maddy_t11@h...>
"Tracy" <maddy_t11@h...>
Date:  Mon Oct 29, 2001  4:41 pm
Subject:  Re: Singing Folk Music

Milena,

In my opinion, slavic folk songs should be sung sort of nasal and
bright. I lived in Bulgaria for about a year and a half, and was able
to hear quite a bit of their folk music. It is a very different sound
than what the... I don't know, Western ear... is used to hearing.
Maybe that is where the issue lies. If you want to sing it
authentically slavic, I would do so and maybe give a little
explanation in the program notes or a little verbal intro to that set
in your recital. If you want to "westernize" it, go with the sound
you and your teacher can agree on, and one that feels right.

Just my opinion.

By the way Milena, where are you from? Milena is a very popular
Bulgarian name.

> I was wondering how some of you approach singing folk music...I am
> currently working on some south slavic folk songs and keep getting
> the comment from my teacher that my sound is nasal and not as nice
> a sound as when I sing classical rep. The folk music is stuff I
> have known all my life and sang as such, but now I want to prepare
> a set for a recital...

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
15000 Menotti's GOYA Karen Mercedes   Mon  10/29/2001   2 KB
15005 Re: Singing Folk Music Kathryn Thickstun Leff   Mon  10/29/2001   3 KB

emusic.com