Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  roses41usa@n...
roses41usa@n...
Date:  Mon Oct 29, 2001  3:00 pm
Subject:  Withdrawal from opera workshop?

Hello,
Has anyone ever had to witdraw from a privately sponsored (not in
academia) opera workshop after it's already started? What usually
are
the consequences for the other participants? Are replacements easy
find? I've been doing this for about four weeks and we have another 2
1/2 months to go. I figure it's better to get out now rather than
wait 'till it's too late. I seem to have some kind of learning
disability in terms of movement. If I have a score in my hands and
I'm planted on the stage (oratorio, choral solos, etc.), I'm fine.
Having to sing lines that are memorized while dealing with stage
directions totally frustrate me! After the director arranges the
blocking, he tells us to to mark it in our scores and I simply can't
remember a thing, I don't know where to move or what to do. My mind
is a total blank. I've been marking gibberish in my score so I don't
look like a total fool while everyone sits there and adds the
directions to their scores. The same problems seem to arise when I
ask for driving directions, everything turns into a mess and I can't
figure out what the person is trying to tell me. It's like a foreign
language to me. The director says it's just "nerves" but I've been
down this road before. It's sheer agony standing around and not
knowing what to do. The director has tried to "push" me around in
our rehearsal space. I've also watched him renact my movements so I
can "memorize" them, but that isn't working either.
I wonder if I should get myself tested so I can figure what is going
on. I'm totally frustrated and I don't know what to do...

Thanks,

Harold

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
14994 Re: Withdrawal from opera workshop? Mezzoid@a...   Mon  10/29/2001   3 KB
14996 Re: Withdrawal from opera workshop? Greypins@a...   Mon  10/29/2001   2 KB
14999 Re: Withdrawal from opera workshop? SMSchneider   Mon  10/29/2001   3 KB
15003 Re: Withdrawal from opera workshop? sopran@a...   Mon  10/29/2001   3 KB
15013 Re: Withdrawal from opera workshop? peggyh@i...   Mon  10/29/2001   6 KB

emusic.com