Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Sun Oct 28, 2001  6:30 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Interesting Singer Diary on the Web

Greypins@a... wrote:

> peggy,
>
> please tell me you're kidding. in that production, she may have used
> more energy than most other opera singers do in other roles but, she did not
> use as much energy as a professional basketball player does in a game (unless
> you're talking about someone like chuck nevitt).

I may be wrong, but I'm not kidding. Figaro runs just under
3 hours plus two 20-minute intermissions (at the Met at
least). A basketball game is one hour with three breaks
between the 15-minute periods. And there are a lot of stops
and starts in play during the periods, for fouls,
out-of-bounds, travelling calls, etc. So there's 15 minutes
of play spread out over a half an hour or so. And most
players don't play the entire 60 minutes. I think there's a
chance of equivalence. The basketball player uses more
energy in shorter bursts, the opera singer perhaps a similar
amount of energy spread out over a longer period. A little
like, say, a long distance run?

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...