Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "Deal Diva Laura" <laura@d...>
"Deal Diva Laura" <laura@d...>
Date:  Sun Oct 28, 2001  4:13 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Re: Interesting Singer Diary on the Web

>(kissing a conductor's butt for a role is probably the only activity
>most singers do that uses anywhere near as much energy as an athletic
event.)

I'd have to strongly disagree with this (even if it is a joke). We're doing
a rather long excerpt from Hansel & Gretel for the Halloween concert I've
put together for Sunday afternoon (tomorrow) and the Witch gets a real good
workout with all the staging and all. The music itself isn't the easiest in
the world to begin with, but adding in pretty physical staging makes for
quite a workout - even for Hansel & Gretel.

I would have to agree that performing a large lead role DOES require a lot
of physical stamina. Not necessarily being in great shape physically - just
stamina. You consider that singers aren't mearly standing up there yelling
at the audience (hopefully): We're using so many different muscle groups
just to produce well sustained and healthy tone and breath support, then you
add in staging and, on occasion, heavy costumes, and you've got the makings
of quite a healthy little workout.

And by the way, you'll never find this little diva kissing any conductor's
butt for a role - maybe that's why I haven't had a whole lot of
roles...hmmmm

Anyway, just my $0.02 for what it's worth.

Laura

DealDivas.com - Harmonizing Culture & Price
http://www.DealDivas.com

This will be our reply to violence:
To make music more intensely,
more beautifully,