Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Sun Oct 28, 2001  12:23 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Interesting Singer Diary on the Web

Greypins@a... wrote:

> ultimately, my problem with statements like hers is that they are
> attempts to glorify the act of singing beyond what it is. to anyone with
> enough sense to know that singing doesn't require anywhere near as much
> energy as running a marathon, this makes the singer look like a spoiled idiot
> rather than a heroic being.

I couldn't say that one way or the other with confidence,
having neither sung Isolde nor run a marathon. For me,
singing "Caro nome" in front of people straight through
"feels" like I've exerted myself a great deal, perhaps
equivalent for me to walking a mile at a brisk pace. And
it's just one aria and I'm not singing it staged. Perhaps
the emotions of singing a piece like that contribute to the
feeling of physical exertion - maybe it's the adrenaline
rush or something? And I don't get nervous when I sing in
front of people. My friends who have stage fright report
even more of a physical toll after singing in front of
people.

Watching Bartoli do the Figaro Susanna at the Met, I felt
like she used at least as much energy as a professional
basketball player. The character is onstage almost the
entire 3-1/2 hour opera, and never stops moving, even when
she's not singing, which is almost all the time. And the
Met stage is huge! I'm sure one cross on that stage is
equal to 2-4 crosses on most other stages. When I went
backstage after that opera with a friend of mine (one of
only two times I've ever done this), she looked still
energetic, even though she must have signed a hundred
autographs, standing up, talking to everyone in line and not
rushing them through. But the big strong guys, Bryn Terfel
and Dwayne Croft, looked totally exhausted, like they could
barely stand. And their autograph lines were MUCH shorter.

I seem to remember Eaglen reporting in some other interview
I read that after singing Isolde, her voice felt like she
could sing the whole opera over again, if her body could do
it. You know, that is a five-1/2 hour opera, with only two
intermissions, and Isolde must be on stage at least 2/3 of
the opera. Sitting in the opera house for that one wore ME
out! Both times I saw it.

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...