Vocalist.org archive

From:  cpesings@a...
Date:  Wed May 10, 2000  4:56 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Children's Career-was career+children

Leslie --

Being in that same situation, albeit 14 years ago, I understand where you and
your daughter are coming from. I became a Music ed. major because that was
what I was good at and my family wanted stability for me. I did all of it,
piano, voice and trumpet and was so burned out by my 3rd year, I couldn't
wait to get out of it. Vocal performance would have been a much wiser choice
for me because I never wanted to teach in the schools. I got married after
that 3rd year and now have struggled with my choices for these many years. I
have gone back twice to finish my music degree and still have not claimed
that piece of paper. I teach privately in my home and make a fairly decent
supplementary income. If I do go back once again to finish, I will probably
finish my vocal performance degree and continue teaching in my home. I used
to be one of those people who thought you had to have that education degree
to make it. Not any more. If I would have gone the performance route then,
like I wanted, many doors would have opened for me and I would be working on
my masters now instead of my bachelor's degree. Your daughter may struggle
some as she looks for work, but if this is her passion, she has to at least
give it a shot.

Just my thoughts,
Coleen

emusic.com