Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  sopran@a...
sopran@a...
Date:  Sat Oct 27, 2001  8:02 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Operatic Baby Names

In a message dated 10/27/01 12:43:08 PM, ihateegroups@y... writes:

<< As I was reading some of the suggestions, I was
wondering if the teasing factor the child will suffer
at school should be taken into account, if, for
example, they're named Cinderella or Xenia (too close
to Xena). There is a website (www.babynamer.com) that
lists baby names, and in addition to listing meaning
and origin, it also lists drawback for each name >>

It's more than just teasing. I've read about studies that indicate that
teachers may assume that a child with an unusual name is not as bright as a
child with a common name. Given the same paper to grade, but with different
names attached, teachers almost always gave "Otto" a lower grade than
"Michael" or "David." Something to think about!

Judy

emusic.com