Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Jacqueline/Connie" <jaxsobcon@n...>
Date:  Wed May 10, 2000  7:54 pm
Subject:  Re: Those who can't, teach.

Dear Beth and others:
I think that catch phrase has denigrated our profession
for many teachers because of the implication that teaching
is a lesser job than doing. But isn't teaching just that?
Doing? We're doing something that numerous others
cannot. A great singer isn't automatically a great teacher!
If in our hearts we don't want to teach; we only want to
perform; then teaching will feel like a cop out because
it is one. If we teach because we love to watch the
face of a student as they overcome an obstacle or
we feel the pride of accomplishment through the
accomplishments of our students under our guidance,
then we teach because we should teach.
I think we all have times when we wonder where we'd be
if we hadn't started teaching. It's easy to blame teaching
on not getting to perform (and sometimes it does hold us
back from flying miles away for a gig) but we could just
as easily work at Walmart for money to put food on the
table if we really were not happy teaching.
Teaching private classes is a very draining profession
and at this time of year it's even harder because there
are exams/recitals/competitions and the like pulling us
in a million directions. I am a firm believer that if you want
something besides the teaching you can have it but it will
come with some sacrifice. No job is perfect...no life simple
to organize.
Hang in there Beth...you do have your hands full with such
small children and a husband who requires such special
care. Do you teach out of a love of sharing your experience
and your music or because it's a job? If you do enjoy it
then it's not a cop out because your life isn't allowing you
time to perform right now. Look for something you can
do when you're not teaching, mothering and being a
great wife. Maybe someone on the list will even have an
idea. Why not plan to do your own recital or concert
sometime next year and work toward it slowly.
Jacqueline
www.tbmall.com/slightlyoffbroadway
(gifts/costumes/classes & more)
Read my articles at:
www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/musical_theatre)
"There's no business like show business"

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
1507 Re: Those who can't, teach. Lisa M Olson   Wed  5/10/2000   2 KB
1521 Re: Those who can't, teach. =?iso-8859-1?q?beth=20christe   Thu  5/11/2000   3 KB
1526 Re: Those who can't, teach. Lisa M. Stachowicz   Thu  5/11/2000   3 KB
1540 Re: Those who can't, teach. Sntann@a...   Thu  5/11/2000   4 KB
1543 Re: Those who can't, teach. Sntann@a...   Thu  5/11/2000   2 KB

emusic.com