Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  lolipastor@a...
Date:  Sat Oct 27, 2001  7:23 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Operatic Baby Names

Laura,

One of my very favorite names is Sophie, from Der Rosenkavalier. However,
she is DEFINITELY not one of my favorite characters in opera. A bit of a
ditz if you ask me. But I guess I'll have to get over that when I end up
playing Octavian a few years from now. :) Or I guess if you like, it could
be Charlotte's Sophie. Another Sophie belonging to a great mezzo character.

Some other ones I love are (yes, I'm just going through a synopsis book):

Lulu, Berg
Cassandre - Les Troyens, Berlioz
Léila - Les Pecheurs de Perles, Bizet
Michaela and Mercédès - Carmen (I guess this is a good name, too!), Bizet
Julien - Louise, Charpentier
Talbot - Maria Stuarda, Donizetti
Lionel - Martha, Flotow
Susannah, Floyd
Naina and Finn - Ruslan and Ludmila, Glinka
Lola - Cavalleria Rusticana, Mascagni
Toby - Medium, Menotti
Balthazar - Amahl, Menotti
Ilia - Idomeneo, Mozart
Pamina - Flute, Mozart
Xenia - Boris Godunov
[Fata] Morgana, Clarissa - Love for Three Oranges, Prokofiev
Mimi - Boheme, of course!
Lisette - La Rondine, Puccini
Ping, Pang, and Pong for triplets? Perhaps, no.
Belinda and Dido - Dido and Aeneas, Purcell
Amelia and Oscar - Un Ballo in Maschera, Verdi
Tristan - Tristan und Isolde, Wagner
Max and Caspar - Der Freischütz, von Weber

Hope this helps!

Lauren

emusic.com