Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  peggyh@i...
peggyh@i...
Date:  Fri Oct 26, 2001  4:43 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Singing Folk Music

Milena wrote:
<< I was wondering how some of you approach singing folk music...I amcurrently
working on some south slavic folk songs and keep getting the comment from my
teacher that my sound is nasal and not as nice a sound as when I sing classical
rep. The folk music is stuff I have known all my life and sang as such, but
now I want to prepare a set for a recital...I find I don't project as well when
I sing in "folk style" but I think the timbre is better to my ear (however that
in itself may be totally misleading) Any suggestions?>>

The first thing I'd recommend, if you haven't already done this, is to record
yourself singing the folks songs in the way you prefer, and also portions in
the way the teacher would like you to sound. Then listen to them and decide
for yourself which type of sound is more appropriate to the repertoire. I can
say for sure the sound you hear inside your head is totally unreliable.

I assume that you are familiar with the style that should be sued for these
folk songs, and that you know the style better than your voice teacher does.
The challenge is to reconcile what you know about style with your best vocal
technique that's appropriate for the style. Perhaps if you have some
recordings of the repertoire that you can play for your teacher, that would
help your teacher to help you sing your best in the appropriate style for the
music.

Good luck!

Peggy

---