Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "Kathryn Thickstun Leff" <ktleff@h...>
"Kathryn Thickstun Leff" <ktleff@h...>
Date:  Fri Oct 26, 2001  3:35 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Singing Folk Music

Milena wrote: I was wondering how some of you approach singing folk
music ...... The folk music is stuff I have known all my life
and sang as such, but now I want to prepare a set for a recital...

[Kathryn Thickstun Leff]
I think there are two issues here: One is singing music you've sung
your whole life, and the other is singing folk music.
First, with singing music you've sung your whole life, you need to make
certain that habit is not causing you to sing it with your old technique.
Counteract this tendency by rehearsing your folk songs between vocalises and
other songs you sing with your new-improved technique. Also, try singing
your folk songs on vowels and using your best technique, then later put the
words back in. You might do this first by using your 'best' vowel, then use
the vowels of your lyrics, eliminating the consonants, then reintroduce the
consonants. Don't let yourself fall back into your old technique.
Second, I think folk songs sound best with a direct, almost spoken type
of delivery, crisp consonants, with the goal to clearly communicate the
text. You do not have to sacrifice technique to do this. I think
'classical' singing often can benefit from this approach, too.
Have fun with your folk songs!

Regards,
Kate Leff

emusic.com