Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "Lana Mountford" <l.s.mountford@a...>
"Lana Mountford" <l.s.mountford@a...>
Date:  Fri Oct 26, 2001  5:28 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Singing in a choir

Greetings! see below . . .

----- Original Message -----
From: " Toogan" <boobook@n...>
To: <vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2001 5:58 AM
Subject: [vocalist] Singing in a choir

> I've followed this topic with great interest. For me, singing in a
choir seems to be the only way I am able to indulge my passion. I am
an amateur - I discovered I had a decent sort of voice 5 years ago, at
45. I have no illusions that there is any sort of singing career open
to me at that late age, except for choirs. However, I also have a
powerful voice, with a 3 octave range and I sometimes feel
constricted in the choir. I am in the soprano section, and try hard
to keep my voice quiet so I don't stand out from the rest. Sometimes
I just want to let it rip - sing out, and sing in all of my range.
Rather frustrating at times. I am also finding that my lower range is
getting weaker - I guess because I am singing the soprano bit. I
suppose I just have to accept the drawbacks of choir singing, as it is
the only avenue I have to perform. Any comments anyone? I would also
like your opinion on whether I should sing in the sopranos, or would
it be healthier for my voice to go to the altos?

OK -- here's my story . . . (many of you have already heard this, so
feel free to zip on by ...)

I didn't know I had any kind of voice at all until I was 42. I'd sung
in high school and college choruses in the late 60s and early 70s, but
no one ever told me I had any kind of vocal "talent." I had my first
voice lesson in 1993, wasted about 18 months with a teacher who was
determined to turn me into a lyric coloratura soprano, found a
wonderful teacher in 1995 who determined that I was really some kind
of dramatic soprano, and made my professional opera "debut" in 1997.
OK, it was a comprimario role, but it was involved several short solos
and developing a *real* character. I also sang in several community
theater productions starting in 1993 in principal roles, and as a
church soloist in an Episcopal church from 1995 until I left San
Francisco.

At the same time, I sang professionally in an 18-voice women's
ensemble (soprano I), a 150+-voice auditioned community chorus
(soprano I), and opera choruses in two regional companies (soprano II
and alto I). I moved to Seattle in 1998, and unfortunately my work
schedule made it impossible for me to pursue the kinds of
opportunities I'd had in California.

I'm now 50, directing a church choir, singing in a small but very good
(auditioned) community chorus, and having a ball. Yes, I have to
"hold back" in terms of volume, but I *always* sing with my full
voice, with my best technique, so it's not *too* bad. I sing the
occasional solo at church, and I've been "invited" to audition for a
solo with the community chorus. I know I'll never have a career
singing, but there are a number of ways that I can express myself in
music and singing. I may be able to retire from my "day job" in the
next year or so, and I intend to get even more active in music,
probably in community theater or perhaps opera chorus somehwere.

My advice would be to sing as much as you can, in whatever
circumstances make you happy. You might find it more comfortable to
sing alto I or soprano II. Ask your director if s/he thinks you might
be better suited singing a lower part. I currently sing soprano II in
the community chorus, even though my range easily tops anything that
would be required for soprano I, simply because that's where my voice
seems to "fit" best. Also, it helps to have a reputation for being
versatile. Our director knows he can throw just about any music at me
from soprano I to alto I, and I'll be able to sing it. (In fact, for
our Christmas concert this year, I'll be singing Soprano I in the Bach
"Magnificat," Soprano II in the Rutter "Gloria" and a mix of Soprano
II and Alto I in the rest of the program.)

Don't be afraid to audition for anything that you find interesting --
a lot of roles in opera and theater really need a "mature" female. Th
is is where you can really let it rip. Ask your director about
auditioning for solos with your choir. It's another way to let
him/her know that you're interested in doing more.

All the best ....

Lana Mountford

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
14940 Singing Folk Music Milena Sertich Grubor   Fri  10/26/2001   3 KB
14942 Re: Singing Folk Music Kathryn Thickstun Leff   Fri  10/26/2001   3 KB
14998 Re: Singing Folk Music Tracy   Mon  10/29/2001   3 KB
15000 Menotti's GOYA Karen Mercedes   Mon  10/29/2001   2 KB
15005 Re: Singing Folk Music Kathryn Thickstun Leff   Mon  10/29/2001   3 KB

emusic.com