Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  nicktenor@a...
nicktenor@a...
Date:  Thu Oct 25, 2001  6:31 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Watch Duet-Fledermaus

Hi Molly, hi folks,

As written, this duet (and the part of Eisenstein) is indeed written rather
high, and it is not uncommon to see Eisenstein played by a tenor. However,
here in the UK at least (I don't know about elsewhere), there is an "amateur"
version of the show, in which the part of Eisenstein is written approximately
a third lower, and sits more comfortably in the "average" baritone voice (as
if there were such a thing!).

This was brought home to me some years ago when I (a tenor) was asked to
audition for the role of Eisenstein with a local company. I turned up to find
with some horror that they were doing the lower version, which effectively
ruled me out of the running before I'd opened my mouth! I should've checked
in advance.....

Best wishes to all,

Nicktenor
www.nicksales.com - my personal site