Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Thu Oct 25, 2001  12:27 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Songs 8-10 year olds would enjoy

sopran@a... wrote:

> Happy Talk from South Pacific. I think that kids might also be intrigued by
> Bali Hai.
>
> Getting to Know You or I Whistle a Happy Tune from The King & I

You've just brought me back to my childhood and listening to
my parents' Rodgers and Hammerstein cast recordings, and
going to see the movies. How I loved them. But my favorite
South Pacific song when I was 8 years old was "Dites Moi",
the song the children sing at the beginning of the show in
South Pacific! If this would fit in with the format, it
would be a great song to teach the kids, to sing it with the
performer. I sang it in my elementary school chorus. We
sang it in French and English. The English went: "Tell me
why, the sky, is filled with music. Tell me why, we fly, in
clouds above. Can it be that we are filled with music?
Just because, just because we're in love?"

And I adored Peter Pan and My Fair Lady. "I've Got a Crow"
and "Never Never Land" and that song about building a house
for Wendy. And "Wouldn't It be Loverly" and "I Could Have
Danced All Night".

And my first love was Guys and Dolls. "If I Were a Bell"
always intrigued me. It was probably the line "If I were a
bell I'd go Ding Dong Ding Dong Ding" that made me want to
play the song over again. My next favorite song was the
little Salvation Army chorus thing at the beginning, "Follow
the Fold". I think I liked the sound of the high voices.

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
14925 Re: Songs 8-10 year olds would enjoy Karen Mercedes   Thu  10/25/2001   3 KB

emusic.com