Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  ODivaTina@a...
ODivaTina@a...
Date:  Wed Oct 24, 2001  3:34 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Interesting Singer Diary on the Web

In a message dated 10/24/2001 7:25:57 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
dalila@R... writes:
dalila@R... writes:

<< Maybe what she meant is that the soprano singing Isolde and the marathon
runner use about the same amount of breath in their exertions. >>

I believe what she means is that feeling of total depletion after a
performance that can only be accounted for by the use of a lot of one's
resources. I know that when I have a long night, with a demanding role that
requires my entire emotional spectrum, along with the concentrated effort of
some technically challenging vocalisms, I NEED to sleep and eat substantially
the day before AND the next day to make sure that 1) Going in, I actually
have the stamina to make it through, and 2) The next day I can recover. I
feel totally depleted after a performance like that, and am highly aware of
having to replenish my body, exactly like an athlete. And I am 5' 9" and 145
pounds.
TinaO

emusic.com